Slow-cooker chicken cacciatore
An easy and delicious winter classic!
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 8 hours (low) or 4 hours (high)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 brown onion, chopped (optional)
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 8 skinless chicken thigh
• 2 celery stalks, diced
• 2 carrots, diced (no need to peel)
• 2 zucchini, diced (no need to peel)
• 1 capsicum, diced (optional)
• 2 tomatoes, diced (optional)
• 700g bottle tomato passata
• 1 tsp salt reduced chicken stock (optional)
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
• 2 handful parsley, chopped
• 500g cup mushrooms, sliced
• 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
1. Add everything into slow cooker (aside from olives and mushrooms) and stir to combine. Cover. Cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours).
2. Add mushroom in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
3. Add olives to each plate as needed.
4. Serve on quinoa/brown rice/buckwheat/ pasta- all these taste great! Great with steamed vegetables (green beans, carrots, broccoli etc) or salad.
Don't have a slow cooker? Cook for 6-8 hours in your oven at 110 degrees.
Any wilted capsicum, tomatoes, other vegetables tastes great here. I often put these in the freezer when they are wilting and pull them out for this recipe.
The stock isnt needed (as the olives are salty- so you can reduce further).
This is a great recipe to freeze leftovers and have on busy nights.