Pot Sticker Dumplings
(Makes 16 Dumplings)
Dumplings and Filling
Choice of veggies:
Grated carrot/zucchini/shredded cabbage
Finely chopped mushroom/ bamboo shoots/water chestnuts
Sweet corn kernels/peas
Handful of herbs (coriander, Vietnamese mint, chives), chopped
16 round dumpling wrappers
Vegetable oil for cooking (peanut, sunflower, sesame)
2 Tbs rice-wine vinegar
2 Tbs soy sauce Juice of one lemon or lime
1 tsp grated ginger (optional)
1 tsp sweet chilli sauce (optional)
For the Dipping Sauce
1. Help your child measure out the ingredients listed above and place them in a small bowl.
2. Whisk ingredients (hold onto the bowl with one hand to keep it steady) Set aside.
3. Prepare vegetables (wash and cut/shred) and put in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Put 16 wonton wrappers on your work surface.
5. Have your child place 1 tsp of filling on one side of the wrapper (be mindful not to overfill).
6. Ask your kid to brush the sides of the wonton wrappers with water. Help him/her fold them over and pinch the sides together to seal.
7. Coat the bottom of a non-stick frypan with oil and heat over medium to high heat for 1-2 minutes. Place dumplings in the pan.
8. When bottom gets brown, adult carefully adds 1/4 cup of water (it will spit) and immediately cover (this will steam the dumplings).
9. Carefully watch the dumplings and completely evaporate the water so that the bottom gets crispy again and sticks to the pot.
10. Serve 3 or 4 per person with small bowl of dipping sauce.
Try using other fillings including chopped chicken, fresh baby spinach or grated carrot.