Moroccan red lentil soup
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
½ large sweet potato, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp sweet paprika
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
Pinch of pepper
8 cups vegetable broth
1 can crushed tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
2 cups red lentils
1 lemon, juiced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
4 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, carrots, sweet potato and celery and cook until tender for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes stirring the whole time.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and lentils stir well and heat to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered on low heat for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the soup from the heat and ladle half of the soup into a large mixing bowl.
- Carefully blend half of the soup in a separate container with a blender.
- Return the blended half of the soup back to the pot and mix well.
- Stir in the lemon juice, red pepper flakes, parsley and coriander, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a bread of your choice.
Next Knife (Ages 6+)
FREE SHIPPING ON FOOST PRODUCTS WORLDWIDE!
For kids in the kitchen with a bit more experience, this knife cuts food, not little helping fingers.
Ages 6+, dishwasher and sibling safe.
(For younger children, try Foost First Knife for ages 2+.)
Try some of our recipes for kids in the kitchen!
Contact us to discuss bulk and educational pricing.