Buckwheat salad with Roast Veg & Persian feta
• 1large beetroot, scrubbed, trimmed and cubed.
• ¾ - 1 whole cauliflower, cut into florets
• 800g pumpkin, cut into 3cm pieces (no need to peel)
• 1.5 cups raw Buckwheat
• 2 oranges, peeled, (white pith removed)
• 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
• 1/3 cup parsley leaves, chopped
• 120g Persian feta, crumbled
• 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
• 1 tablespoon honey
• Juice from oranges
1. Preheat oven 180C (fan forced). Prepare two oven trays by putting baking paper on top. Place cubed beetroot and cut pumpkin on one tray and cauliflower florets on another tray. Drizzle with olive oil.
2. Bake cauliflower for 20 mins or until golden and tender. Bake beetroot and pumpkin for 40 mins or until tender. Set aside to cool.
3. Toast raw buckwheat on a non-stick frying pan over medium- high heat, stirring for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. To cook, put toasted buckwheat into 500ml of water into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes (until just tender- be careful not to overcook). Rinse under cold running water and drain well.
4. Holding each orange over a bowl to catch juice, cut either side of membrane to release segments. Squeeze remaining juice into the bowl. Shake the honey, mustard, orange juice and remaining oil in a screw-top jar to combine.
5. Toss with pumpkin, cauliflower, beetroot, buckwheat, orange segments, parsley, toasted walnuts and feta in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing.
6. Serve with baked fish and a salad.
This is a great recipe to serve cold the next day.
Pomegranate, roasted asparagus or roasted zucchini would be a great addition.
You can substitute the buckwheat for 300g quinoa